Posted on January 18, 2019
The Missile Defence Review proposes using new technology and space-based weaponry that can detect and track incoming missiles, including those that are hypersonic.
The President said the US is putting in the investment to be ready for the warfare of the future. Trump told service members at a speech at the Pentagon: “We will recognise that space is a new war-fighting domain with the Space Force leading the way.” He said his upcoming budget would invest in a space-based missile defence layer technology and said: “It’s ultimately going to be a very, very big part of our defence and obviously of our offence.” He said, “Any missile launches from hostile powers, or even from powers that make a mistake, it won’t happen, regardless of the missile type or geographic origins of the attack: We will ensure that enemy missiles find no sanctuary on Earth or in the skies above.”
Mr Trump did not mention Russia, China or North Korea in his speech. Last year, the Vice President Mike Pence gave details of President Trump’s proposed new branch of the military, which would protect national security in space. In a speech at the Pentagon last August Pence said Space Force would be established by 2020. The strategy pushes for feasibility studies on the proposals and no final decisions have been made.