Posted on October 16, 2018
Ready for battle! The UK’s 72-strong Invictus Games squad takes off to join Harry and Meghan in Sydney for the competition
Dozens of sick and wounded ex-forces personnel are on their way to Sydney to compete for their country in the annual Invictus Games.
Competing against 17 other nations the 72-strong UK team will battle for medals in eleven sports across Greater Sydney, including at Sydney Olympic Park and on and around Sydney Harbour.
Those selected for the squad include veterans and wounded, injured and sick (WIS) military personnel.
The team will be in Australia at the same time as Prince Harry, founder of the games. The Duke of Sussex arrive with his pregnant wife Meghan, earlier on Monday.
Captain of Team UK, Mark ‘Dot’ Perkins said: ‘Today is the culmination of months of careful preparation by all 72 competitors and the many staff, friends and family who have supported us. The next two weeks will demonstrate the unique power of sport to support recovery. Team UK are ready, raring to go and enjoying the camaraderie which the Armed Forces is famous for.’
The opening ceremony will be on October 20 at the Sydney Opera House with the games taking place over seven days.
The UK’s squad was selected from 451 applicants. The selection process takes into account the benefit a person will get from competing.
Team UK has been delivered through a partnership of Help for Heroes, The Royal British Legion and the Ministry of Defence.
Defence Secretary, Gavin Williamson wished the team well.
He said: ‘I wish all of our UK competitors the best of luck in Australia. The word ‘Invictus’ means unconquered and perfectly embodies the fighting spirit of our Armed Forces and ex-service personnel. Meeting many Invictus competitors this year I learnt how sport is spurring on recovery.
‘Our Armed Forces have a world-class attitude and I am sure they will make their mark.’