Posted on January 31, 2019
The Government was told on Wednesday that the cash cuts to living accommodation in military troops’ barracks were an “appalling indictment” of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). This comes after a report by the Defence Safety Authority (DSA) found that cash cuts had led to an “unacceptable degradation” of military living accommodation. The Lords argued that service personnel was at risk of losing “life and limb in action” and the MOD has a responsibility to ensure that their barracks are safe for their troops.
The Government said the MOD had acted on the recommendations contained in the report and created a committee to oversee the improvements needed. The review had been ordered after blazes at Aliwal barracks in Tidworth, Wiltshire, and Thiepval Barracks in Lisburn, Northern Ireland. The findings in the report on single living accommodation used by unmarried troops highlighted “faulty equipment” and “broken or unserviceable infrastructure”.