Posted on May 9, 2018
Introducing a new “Historical Investigations Unit” was a major part of the 2014 Stormont House agreement. It was agreed then to create a new independent body to deal with killings where there had been no prosecutions. But several ministers told colleagues on Tuesday that the proposal was unacceptable in its current form. Another minister who expressed worries said there had not been a huge argument, but that it had been made clear to the government that it had to do more to make sure that former military personnel weren’t unfairly targeted, or dragged through the courts.