Posted on April 11, 2019
Staff at the BAE Systems’ site in Barrow-in-Furness were evacuated on Wednesday afternoon after a warning about a bomb on one of the Astute class vessels.
A spokesperson for BAE Systems said: “Following an extensive sweep of the Devonshire Dock Complex, including the four Astute class submarines in build, nothing suspicious was found. We expect to be able to close the incident shortly. Our first priority is always the safety of employees, the site and local residents so, in accordance with our emergency procedures, we made the decision to release personnel from the DDC earlier today. This was purely precautionary. Working with the emergency services, we are now satisfied there is no immediate safety risk and employees due to come on to site to start any shift after 4pm are being asked to report to site as normal.”
According to The Mail, a Barrow-in-Furness-based publication, ambulances were on the scene. Earlier on Wednesday, a Ministry of Defence spokesperson said they were aware of the reports and in contact with BAE Systems.