Posted on December 11, 2018
Henry Cane, known as John, who died in March 2017, was in a team that kept the computers running at the Bletchley Park intelligence centre. Experts think their work shortened the 1939-45 war by two years. His 1940s bag and 20 tools have been given to the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley. Mr Cane helped maintain the machines at Bletchley Park from February 1944 until the end of the war in 1945. After the war, two of the 10 Colossus machines ended up at the government’s new GCHQ in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. The other eight were dismantled.