ARE THE SIGNALS DYING?

Home Forums Army Chat Signals Chat ARE THE SIGNALS DYING?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DeltaWhisky 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

LukeMitchell315
    Participant
    0p

Over the last 10+ years Bowman, CORMERANT, FALCON and many other systems have come into service, the majority of these being IP based systems, mainly designed around the needs of Afghan and digitization. Then the redundancies hit – I have found that having experience on so many systems is a BAD thing on my CV – so which system most represents a good chance of employment in civi street? (or should I have stayed in the MT and just advertised myself as a pure resource manager?)

LukeMitchell315
    Participant
    0p

And of course, shouldn’t the Signals have a suite of comms tools and stick with them?

Nat956
    Participant
    0p

As to which system represents the best/ a good chance of employment. In my opinion You have 4 options:
    1) Only name the one which is closest to the job you are applying for (tailour your CV)
    2) Dont mention ANY, just mention that you have worked on Military Communication systems
    3) Say you worked for the MoD and not in the army* supporting the armys communications
    4) List all 4 as systems you have worked on in passing but only concentrate on the last system you actually worked on.

*I’ve found 60-80% of the people I’ve worked with in the last 6/7 years since I’ve left think that everyone in the army is Infantry!

For example I was a Sys Op before I re-traded to ISOp, I worked on Ptarmigan but on my CV it just says I supported Ptarmigan for 3 years.

As to The amount of systems….. hay thats progress, and goverment contracts/tendors!… IIRC Cormorant was supposed to replace Ptramigan 14/15 years ago… then they found it couldnt (after 10+ years development) do everything Ptramigan could so had to run the two systems along side each other :p

Lee
    Participant
    0p

Luke
    you shouldn’t worry about how many different equipments you have worked on, but what skills you have and how you have used them,
    for instance a car mechanic who has worked on 50 different models of vehicle, does that make him a BAD mechanic or does that show adaptability, does it show a willingness to learn new things.

You need to concentrate your CV on the Skills you have rather than the equipment you’ve worked on.
    Think of ways to group the equipment together (Modems Muxes Radios etc etc)

As for the Title are the signals dying, Not quite sure what relevance this is or why you have used this title.

Tim Jones
    Keymaster
    1p

Lee364, great response. ExForcesNet has been founded with the sound belief that people departing the Forces have more transferable skills over and above their Trade, and this is something we can help you bring out. Also, we are looking to work with Employers on helping them recognise these transferable skills across the board.

LukeMitchell315
    Participant
    0p

Sorry I’ve taken so long to get back on. What a great load of responses to get back to though. I think “Say you worked for the MoD and not in the army* supporting the armys communications” is a fantastic idea but all were great and i’ll be re-writing (yet again) tonight.

I must point out when I said I’d work on lots, it was different kinds of systems (satellites, RF, etc) with the majority being IP based, but actually you guys answered it all anyway.

The signals had a clear policy over the last decade of a multipurpose, adaptable workforce (a good idea) but I think they have reached a point (post afghan) of setting up a suit of tools, IP based i’m sure, that guys leaving in 5 years from now will be able to put on a CV and it be instantly recognised to the civi market.

DY21A
    Participant
    0p

Since discharge from the Army some eighteen months ago I have found that society is more interested in your commercial experience and civilian qualifications rather than what military comms systems that you worked on and or became a SME in.

CCNA, MCITP, MCSE are all good although Adv Sig Sys and BSM carry no weight whatsoever, unless it is a Bowman specific position. As for commercial experience then focus upon what transcends from an ambiguous military comms system to society, such as IP based networks, seven layer OSI, TCP/IP etc.

Anything military related gives Joe Civvy one distinct albeit incorrect impression, think Battery Sergeant Major Williams from ‘It Ain’t Half Hot Mum’ and you are along the correct lines. If you are too young to know who this character was then Google him and you will see my point.

I was once told that 90% of today’s society has no connection with the military whatsoever. No family ties, do not live near Garrison and have no contact at all. It is their perception that you are trying combat against. Unless of course you are lucky and somebody within the recruitment process of a job application has actually served and sees your CV full of even the slightest hint of Army/MOD etc.

It is a very difficult task, not one I relish and I am also still trying to make CVs work for me. If anything I prefer application forms rather than the CV ‘cooking pot’ as I at least seem to get work from the application form job route.

Regardless, good luck and keep trying, you will get there in the end.

DeltaWhisky
    Participant
    0p

No they are alive and well in every corner of the universe doing some very obscure jobs. Ever thought of becoming a watchkeeper or communication technician/manager, the gears just a lot more commercial and dependent on luck, you might end up with more gear than the Corps put together. Good luck and be Lucky….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.